Sunday, September 13, 2009

Riley - 19 weeks old, Kayla - 4 years old

At Riley's 4 month check up he was, again, perfectly average. The nurse weighed him at 15 lbs. 10 oz., 25 inches long, with a head circumference of 17 inches. After she looked it up he is in the 50th percentile in all three categories. We were also told his head is a little flat in the back and were advised to keep him off his back as much as possible. So, I've got to make my way to Babies R Us and buy a Bumbo so he can sit up and play. He doesn't like tummy time too much so that's probably not an option to use

Riley has been taking a big interest in the food that we are eating, so I got the ok from the doctor to start giving him some rice cereal. I'm determined to make my own baby food this time, so I cooked up some brown rice and blended it really fine, added some formula and he loved it. He was totally eating it up to the point where he was opening his mouth when the spoon came near his face. He would even push away his bottle. He's growing so fast.

Kayla is doing great. She's moved into the Pre-K classroom and is starting to learn more than recognizing letters and numbers. Her class is learning the number two, what it looks like and how to spell it. I can't believe she can spell the word two. Lately, Kayla has been against going to school so we have talked to her more to find out why she doesn't want to go to school. We found out that no one at school wants to be her "best friend." I decided I needed to figure out why this is happening. I've had lots of conversations with her and discovered she more Munesato than we all thought. Although she seems very outgoing at home and around family and friends, she's really an introvert at heart. She's a lot more like me than I realized.

This time last year she told me, "Logan is not my friend anymore because he doesn't do what I say." I thought "Oh man, she's bossy." But there was more to it than that. Some days I would pick her up and ask her who she was playing with and she would say, "No one, by myself." Then I had huge insight yesterday, when we went to the mall. There is a little playground. She had a lot of fun, but was playing by herself the whole time. After I asked her "why didn't you play with the other kids?" She said, "I like playing by myself mommy." Ugh. How do I get my introverted child to socialize? I'm going to have to try a bunch of different things, I hope I can get her to break out of her shell.

1 comment:

Robin said...

hmmm...maybe ryan can give some tips for kayla. i got nothin! i'm the true introvert as well...are we all like that?