Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Breastfeeding - Warning Boys may want to skip this entry

Breastfeeding is hard work! Don't be fooled, breastfeeding does not come easy to most. Many women don't produce enough milk. Many babies don't latch on correctly. Many women experience extreme nipple pain. Many women don't have the energy to keep up with their baby's needs.

With Kayla she did not latch on correctly. It was painful. I tried to pump, but I wasn't producing enough milk. So, after a couple weeks, i had to quit and give her formula. With Riley i thought it was going to be different. Riley wasn't latching on correctly, but I was able to put him on and then adjust him so the breastfeeding was working for about a week. Then, the pain started. It was similar to the pain I was feeling with Kayla. It was a burning that occurred whenever he sucked. I gave myself a two day break and went to see a lactation consultant. Of course, just as with Kayla he latched on fine with the lactation consultant. So, I went home and he was doing well. I just can't seem to get him to latch correctly on my left side. It is sooo frustrating! I want this to work so badly, but I may have to concede to breastfeeding a few days a week until my milk supply runs out.

Any suggestions?

No comments: